Friday, August 31, 2012

Cibo al bolognese

It has been an incredibly long and busy week so far in Bologna. The program staff threw us into the housing search on Tuesday, which was our first full day in the city. We had to start looking for flyers, making ads on various websites and eventually calling to schedule meetings. This was definitely one of the greatest ways to fully immerse ourselves in the culture and language when we all felt rusty after 3 Italian-less months in the summer.

A typical flyer
I have seen two potential apartments, so far. I have an appointment for tomorrow and one for Monday. The first one I saw, I am completely in love with and am awaiting the call from the landlord because there was another girl he was seeing this afternoon that is interested in the room. I just keep praying it works out.

The dilemma is finding an affordable place to live that is within the walls of the city. Because Bologna is a medieval city, the city center is literally within walls that was once used to protect the city from outside threats. Now, it is where all of the action happens. If you live within the walls, you can walk anywhere, if you live outside of the walls, you probably need a bike. Ideally, I'd love to live near the university, but sometimes they are too expensive or competitive. Either way, we'll see how it goes.

Of course, this week has been about more than just apartment hunting, though it feels like it has occupied my whole life so far. I have eaten some amazing meals while staying here. Though it hurts my wallet a bit, I have no way of cooking while I am staying at the hotel, so I am forced to try Italian cuisine. No complaints!
Tagliatelle al ragù

My first official restaurant meal was at a restaurant called "Il Saracena" on Via Ugo Bassi, which is right next to my favorite street, Via Rizzoli. I had Bologna's pride and joy: Tagliatelle al ragù. It's basically like linguine with meat sauce, but my goodness it was incredible. Yesterday, I ate at a pizzeria called "Spacca Napoli." I ate the most incredible pizza ever. Then, today I ate lasagna alla bolognese (again, it simply means tomato and meat sauce.) 

Something I have really noticed is that Italian portions are so much bigger than in the States. The thing is, every Italian restaurant menu has multiple course options. Because I only ever order one plate, I spend very little, but I am so incredibly full at the end. I really don't know how Italians can eat so much and be so thin! It must be all of the walking. 

BEFORE
AFTER
Anyhow, the only time I surprised myself with how much I ate was at "Spacca Napoli." I almost ate my entire pizza. This personal pizza was huge and only cost 5,50 euro. The pizza was bigger than the plate and I initially thought I should have ordered one pizza to share with someone. But because the dough is not thick and the ingredients are so fresh, I was able to eat a lot more than I would have thought. You just have to take my word for it, this place is amazing and probably one of my favorites.

Random thought: If smoking lessens your appetite, how do chain-smoking Italians eat so much?! Seriously, they smoke and eat so much in Italy. Their insides must be dying.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on the apartment hunt. I'm hoping to find it soon. Pray for me! 

Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. You make me hungry! That pizza looks so good. And don't worry about the apartment, God knows exactly what you need, just pay attention and listen carefully to his voice. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete