Friday, September 28, 2012

Cultural differences

I haven't posted in a while because nothing super exciting has happened. I have been going to my pre-session course and living life normally in this wonderful country.

I know that I did not post anything on Ravenna, like promised, I just didn't feel it needed a whole post for itself, so I will be posting about all of our program excursions after tomorrow's Urbino trip. So, stay tuned for that! But, I did notice some new cultural differences worth sharing. Unfortunately, this is one of those posts senza (without) photos, but it's definitely interesting!

First off, something Americans have a tendency to do is smile at strangers when walking, running or strolling through parks, parking lots, to class, etc. Here, Italians look at you like you're pazzo (crazy) if you randomly smile at them. Italians are not at all cold or indifferent individuals, if you have a question or a request, they are eager to assist you, but random strangers do not feel the need to be overly friendly to each other, like smiling if you make eye contact. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be something I stop doing while I am here.

Also, I know people will say this all of the time, but it's not at all the same as experiencing it. Italian men are... much more vocal about their interests. Granted, if you're at a club or bar (which I have not been to) I am sure it is worse. But, I have had ragazzi (adolescent boys to young adults) and older men stop their cars to hit on me.
For example, one afternoon, these two 20-something year old guys stopped their car as I was walking to my apartment and said: "Qual รจ la tua taglia?" (What's your size?)
I don't know about you, but that definitely caught me by surprise. All I could do was show disgust and disinterest and they drove away. These situations seem dangerous because you're walking alone and they're in a car, but Italian men have proven to be harmless, just exceptionally vocal.

Allora, recently my friend Molly once mentioned the American tendency to refuse something the first time being asked and then agreeing when asked for a second time.
     Host: Would you like a coffee?
     Guest: No, I'm okay.
     Host: Are you sure? It's no problem.
     Guest: Alright, I'd love one.
This doesn't happen here. If you say no, they don't ask again and they do not understand why you would refuse something if you want it. The thing is, I suppose Americans just believe that they are being an imposition, but it's clear that they are not. Particular, right?

Finally, my friend Allyce noticed the American tendency to refuse a compliment.
    Friend 1: I love your top, you look great!
    Friend 2: Oh, this old thing? I got it on sale from Target.
Rather than just accepting a compliment, we have the tendency to bring attention to the item itself or just simply refuse the compliment altogether at the fear of sounding conceited, I suppose. Her roommate found this to be hilarious and told her to just accept the compliment.

It's kind of funny how things that have been normal my whole life are now quirks that I have been noticing and seem quite silly now, actually.

Anyway, I will post more posts as I begin to travel more. I have booked 6 trips, excluding the already-planned Urbino trip for tomorrow. I cannot wait to tell everyone about the best things to see, eat, experience, etc. Stay tuned for all of that.

Also, because this is a study abroad program, I thought I'd let you know that I do start university classes on Monday. I'll probably write a post about the university system differences. Why? Because we're constantly warned that it's very different.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment