Thursday, October 4, 2012

Firenze

Amici e famiglia,

I visited Florence for the first time this evening and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I couldn't help but think about all of those very famous and influential people in Italian and global history that once walked along the same streets I was casually walking through today. This city not only inspired revolutionary art and literature, but it was the sight of a tragic battle between Germany and Italy during WWII. Basically, I was freaking out.

I know that it will sound cliché, but Florence is probably one of the most beautiful cities you will ever visit. It is definitely a must if you ever find yourself in Italy and there are certain things you MUST do while you're there.
  1. Climb the Duomo -- this costs 8 euros and it gives you a wonderful view of the city and of an incredible fresco with an inferno to paradise scene. 
  2. Cross the Ponte Vecchio -- feast your eyes on a magnificent view.
  3. Visit one of the famous museums -- see iconic Renaissance art that will change your life.
  4. Splurge on a sit-down lunch or dinner -- I haven't experienced this yet, but apparently Florence is famous for its steak. Why not, non-vegetarians? Maybe try the tastefully sweet pear and cheese ravioli at Trattoria 4 Leone.
  5. Visit the San Lorenzo market -- Bargain! Bargain! Bargain! Also, don't the make the same mistake I made and actually buy a leather purse. Italian leather is famous and incredible. (I'm buying one the next time I go! FOR SURE.)
  6. Sit and people watch on the Loggia dei Lanzi on Piazza della Signoria. There are incredible statues and a couple hundred tourists.
  7. Take a bus to Fiesole. It's a tranquil town that provides an incredible view of the city. Go to any Tabaccheria and buy 2 bus tickets (2,40 euros total) and take the #7 bus from Piazza San Marco.
I am sure there are plenty of other things to do in Florence and a couple on this list are things I didn't do this time around, but am planning on doing with my sister when I return (God willing!). 

So, are you hungry? Here is today's feast:







 I actually took 168 photos today, so this is only a taste. I am sorry. They are in an album on my Facebook page. The truth is, pictures just do not do this city justice, but I had to convince you to visit, if you haven't already.


View of Firenze from a garden in Fiesole
While in Fiesole, my friend Allyce convinced me to hike up this strangely private trail to a park. It is apparently where da Vinci would test out his flying inventions. I don't know how true this is, but I trust her and it was a beautiful way to the top! An unforgettable adventure.

Ciao a tutti! This weekend? PARMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment