Monday, November 19, 2012

Chocolate & Graduations

Here are some accounts from my eventful weekend in Bologna:

For one, the Italian university system is very different from that of the U.S., I have mentioned this before, but one way that it differs is that every student is required to write a thesis in order to graduate. Because of this, their graduation depends strictly on when they complete their thesis and present it to their advisers and graders. 

I have seen some graduation parties on weekends around the city -- people with wreaths on their heads and their friends chanting things with parolaccie (curse words) while they force the graduate to do embarrassing things. But, it wasn't until Friday that I got to experience it first-hand.

Molly's roommate, Carlotta graduated on Friday (with a degree in archaeology) and threw a party in their apartment to celebrate. Because she didn't have a wreath, her friends forced her to wear a bag on her head as a bottle of wine was taped to her hand. Her task was to read a long story of her life (completely in rhyme) as she stood a certain distance from the giant poster. Every time she made an error or said something not quite to their specifications, she had to drink from the bottle. Needless to say, poor Carlotta was not feeling so well at the end of the night.

I met so many wonderful Italians from all over Italy, speaking more Italian than I think I ever have (in a row) during my entire time in Italy. I spoke Italian for a good 8 hours straight. These people were sweet, funny, talented and very, very entertaining. It was a wonderful evening.

Then on Saturday, I joined my friend Jessica and we went on a dream adventure to the Cioccoshow in Piazza Maggiore. It was EVERYTHING chocolate. I finally had some hot chocolate that is just completely melted chocolate (like from the film Chocolat!) and I got very sick. Though, it was worth it.

These chocolatiers made just about anything and everything with chocolate: animals, tools, shoes, alcohol, truffles, etc. etc. It was incredible.

Here are some photos:







This is just a little bit of proof that the city you live in may have some lovely things to offer every now and then. The key is to give it a chance :)


Ciao for now! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment