Monday, June 3, 2013

La Toscana

I haven't written a post in a while because I actually haven't gone anywhere. I had reached that point in the semester where you remember that you are studying abroad and actually need to pass some exams. Therefore, May and June were/are a little busy, but I have a few trips lined up in between exams and before my exams this week, I went to Tuscany for two days with the program as an incredibly unforgettable and relaxing excursion.

Different from our excursions to Urbino and Ravenna last semester, this was an overnight trip and we visited 5 different small cities (well, 4 small cities and Siena). We stayed at a former monastery that had the most scenic grounds and views -- but also, no heat. It was definitely an unforgettable adventure.

Day 1: (Monteggironi, Sienna and Sant'Anna in Camprena)
The Medieval Wall/View of Monteggironi
We set out to Tuscany bright and early that morning and arrived in about 2.5-3 hours. The views along the way were absolutely breath-taking. The green pastures, rolling hills,vineyards and farms were absolutely everything I could have imagined and more. The truth is, no photo album or movie can really do these places justice. Everyone should take a relaxing vacation to Tuscany in their life. Wine and strolls along green grass and sunflowers. What more do you want?
A beautiful vineyard in Monteggironi

We arrived to Monteggironi, where we were able to see a perfectly-preserved medieval town. We were able to take stairs to the top of the still-standing medieval walls and take pictures and stand in awe at the views before us. The wind was strong and the air was cool, but our excitement was strong and our pictures were cool. Win-win.

We walked a bit along this small town, but you could probably circle it about three times in less than thirty minutes. Imagine living there? I think I wouldn't mind staying there for a quiet vacation.

We then headed to Sienna where we were given some free time to grab lunch before our guided tour of the city. I learned a substantial amount about the city's customs and history and really related to their history of rival neighborhoods which still plays a role in their everyday lives (especially during the Palio horse races that occur twice a year in its main piazza). Because we related, Courtney and I exchanged these words: 
Me: "Not quite like UNC and Duke."
Courtney: "Not quite."

At the end of the tour, we entered Sienna's Duomo which not only exhibited the usual striped-marble design on the outside, but on the inside as well. It was very beautiful. Our tour guide was obviously knowledgeable and very passionate. I enjoyed her 2-hour tour.

After Sienna, we drove to Sant'Anna in Camprena where our monastery was. We arrived with an hour to spare before dinner, so many of us freshened up, while others instantly walked over to the views. I enjoyed my stroll around the monastery grounds before it started raining and I had to freshen up before dinner.

I was mesmerized by the views from our window. Not only was the tiny window in our room beautiful on its own, but once we opened them, we were able to see the monastery garden. It was breathtaking.

Dinner, like at every BCSP excursion, was amazing. It was multiple courses (including dessert) and we were able to enjoy quite a bit of the local wine and even biologico (organic) olive oil. It all tasted gourmet and delicious. I was pleased.

We slept that night in the monastery with no heat. Perhaps one would assume that it doesn't matter for June, but it dropped to about 40 degrees and we all looked hilariously silly in our multiple layers. I slept well, but I definitely looked like I belonged in the middle of January.

Day 2: (Pienza and Montalcino)


Pienza is famous for being the birthplace of Pope Pius II and it was definitely a lovely addition to our Tuscan vacation. It was quaint and lovely like the rest, but my group of friends and I spent most of our time just standing along the town walls staring at the views. The rolling hills of numerous different greens, the aromas of fresh flowers and the inhalation of pure air. It was such a relaxing break from the stressful month I have been having. It nice to sometimes just pause life and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you. I know this can be done anywhere, but it definitely was a perk to be able to do this in Tuscany. A blessing, for sure. Then, we decided to actually see the tiny town because our time was coming to an end. I was pleased to find myself in Piazza Pio II (named after the pope) and see both a bell tower and an old well. The flag of the tiny paese (meaning country, but also town) was a light blue. Basically, Courtney and I felt a little nostalgic for UNC. It is definitely lovely to see little reminders of home in our current home. Not to mention, there was a gorgeous Carolina blue sky above the entire time.



The day came to a lovely conclusion when we visited Montalcino, where we bought lunch at a COOP (supermarket) and then headed over to our last appointment. We went to an organic vineyard where I tried the best red wine I have ever tasted; it is called Brunello and is produced strictly in this Montalcino and its surrounding areas. It was incredibly delicious -- and I am more of a white wine girl myself.
Vineyard in Montalcino
Our ride home was bittersweet because I always love returning home to Bologna, but Tuscany was such a beautiful place. Next time I visit Italy, I'd like to rent a car and just drive through all of the small towns again. This is such an ideal vacation. Agriturismo is one of my favorite things to do.

Overall, I recommend this type of trip to every kind of traveler. There is something for everyone. All of these towns have incredible amounts of history, churches, architecture, food, wine and relaxation. 

Next stop is quite a different vacation; I am heading to Nice and Paris! I am so excited about visiting Paris again, but during a different season and enjoying the French riviera. I need a relaxing beach vacation, though Tuscany definitely relaxed me quite a bit! It's definitely just a different type of relaxation!

<3, a dopo!

No comments:

Post a Comment